Saturday, June 9, 2012

NICU

After my few moments of snuggles, the nurses snatched up Caleb and took him down to the NICU to start him on oxygen. They put him under an oxygen tent to begin with and pumped in 100% oxygen. He also had an IV in his poor little head.

Caleb was super swollen from all the fluid they had pumped into me trying to stop labor.



He stayed under the tent all night and part of the next day. Andrew and I headed down for another visit to find Caleb out of the tent and on nasal oxygen. They had turned down the concentration as well.
We were finally allowed to hold our lil boy!

Andrew's first time holding Caleb (nearly 36 hours later)





Over the next few days, the stepped him down little by little until Thursday, March 8th when he was just receiving a little pressure behind the room air they were giving him. Friday they turned off pressured air, IV was removed and we were able to start nursing on Saturday... the feeding tube was still in to supplement nursings until Caleb pulled it out early Sunday morning.


Only cords left are the monitor cables!


The only obstacle keeping us there was waiting for the lil man to gain some weight. Monday's weigh in put him down half an ounce but they let him "room in" with me anyway. They came down middle of the night Tuesday for weigh in and came back with the best news a momma could hear. Caleb had gained an ounce and a half... the last thing on our checklist just got marked off. We were going home! After an 8 day stay, we were finally going to be home all together as a family!

SMMC was amazing throughout the whole process, letting me room in after being discharged so I could nurse and be near my baby boy. This was a huge blessing, but it was such an emotional strain too. Being away from my precious Eli was one of the hardest parts of the whole situation! The nurses were amazing and I knew Caleb was in good hands. I knew Eli was in good hands too, but I was so used to having him around 24/7. I was used to hearing his laugh and watching him be so silly. My heart was truly ripped in two, or should I say three? I missed my hubby too. Having my family split in three different locations was heart wrenching... but we made it through. And man was it amazing to finally be a together again... at HOME!




No comments:

Post a Comment